Wednesday 10 August 2011

Well I never - a museum under the sea?!

I've been to some pretty neat museums in my past, but being young at the time I was like any other unappreciative brat moaning to make a move and go somewhere less expectant of quietness and elite sophistication. Like the Disney shop. If I could go back now, I'd totally jump at the chance - just so I could look for all the UFO's hiding in the paintings. Because you can spot them in some. Yes. They're already here, and remember you heard it from me first.







 I stumbled across this during my daily web browsing procrastination - and at first glance it looks like a geographically confused, substantially smaller terracotta army. Under the sea. Situated in the national marine park in the Yucatan Peninsula in Cancun, Mexico, a 400 piece army of human sculptures created by English artist Jason Decaires Taylor stands strong beneath depths  - each artwork individually designed and unique. These eerily life-like statues have been made out of a pH neutral clay to encourage coral growth on them, creating an artificial habitat for future marine life as well as intending to bring tourism away from the Machones Reef that needs time to recuperate from hurricane damage. Needless to say, the underwater museum positively fuses together contemporary art with agricultural improvement in a way that majestically promotes environmental awareness.

Very Pirates of the Caribbean. 

As a word of warning though, you'll get wet when you go there and I certainly wouldn't advise it to anyone who can't swim. Unless you've got armbands. 




No comments:

Post a Comment