Tuesday 23 August 2011

The Newcomers: Man Without Country

Had I been already writing a blog in June, I'd have jumped straight from the gig in Cardiff to my laptop for immediate gushing and admiration for this band. Unfortunately I didn't, and with the terrible memory that I have, it has taken me a good summer to get round to writing so. But fear not, my little chickadees, as it has all come flooding back to me and boy - am I happy about it!

This band here is Man Without Country, who, alongside Crystal Stilts, were the supporters for headlining band Warpaint (hands down one of the best all-girl bands around at the moment by the waaay), and although I acknowledged their name on the posters, I was far from understanding the sheer power of the duo behind the band. Not only did the Warpaint gig introduce me to Man Without Country, but it also gave me the special privilege of experiencing the magic that this band evoke through their sound - and the surreal atmosphere they create when performing live.

Taken from their Official Site.
But it's pretty much how I remember the band looking too.


If you enjoy a mixture of post-rock, ambience and celestial electronica, then look no further. The Cardiff-based (I'm beaming!) duo consisting of Tomas Greenhalf and Ryan James, provide all of these in an ambient fusion of ethereal vocals that sing emotionally-intense lyrics; while  an imminent complexity of highly articulated synths and rhythms pulsate and combine to create an energized air that accentuates any emotions ignited while listening to them.

It doesn't matter though, because no matter how hard I try to describe the sound this band create, I will never do them justice. You'll just have to give them a try, and allow yourself to be absorbed into the layers of ambience that you'll never want to escape from. If you really need more help tickling your taste buds, I'd say that Man Without Country feels like the beautiful, forbidden love child of gems such as M83 and God is an Astronaut.

Unfortunately for me, I have yet to hear their 10-track album, Foe. However, their EP, King Complex is available for streaming on Spotify, or can be accessed via the links below on Soundcloud. Particularly delicious songs to listen to off this EP are Inflammable Heart and Ebb & Flow. (Trust me, I've been literally listening to these last two on repeat).

SoundCloud King Complex EP



No comments:

Post a Comment