Friday 5 August 2011

Iamamiwhoami - whoarethey?

I happen to have a bit of a love/hate relationship with travelling and transport. Flying scares the bejesus out of me, while I could bob about on a ferry quite happily (that is, if I manage to walk across the gangway without falling in - LONG story). Trains are my favourite form of transport though, I mean after the havoc of sweating your way to an empty seat, then having to give it up for the little old lady who doesn't even say thank you. Gosh. Despite this, train rides give me the time to appreciation albums from start to finish.

Now this band, Iamamiwhoami, may take a few times round to say the name right - I think I know? But I could be wrong. Anyway, they're a Swedish project of sweet, sweet electro beats headlined by Jonna Lee. They originally started off anonymously on Youtube releasing enigmatic viral clips and causing great stir as well as a copyright infringement, woops. WHO ARE THEY, we all asked.



Musically, over the course of the last two years, Iamamiwhoami have shone with a number of singular releases, all mysteriously named as alphabetical numbers, often - as I have stumbled upon, in conjunction with artistic remixes.





In a nutshell, their sound ranges vastly in a celebration of many musical influences - most clearly experimenting with haunting female vocals against electronic sequences and pulsing bass. What can be said about Iamamiwhoami is the diversity of their songs and the fluidity of their genre styles. Lee uses her delicate soprano voice to effortlessly slide melodies that balance and compliment the blood banks of electronic beats and bass that charge Iamamiwhoami's songs.

If you're after a taste of experimental electronic music exploring a menagerie of influences, this band is worth a listen. 

 The downfall of this artist is debatable though. It just depends on what kind of music critique you are. If you dislike change and diversity, then stay well away. You know, if you're the kind of music prude that regards music outside of your preferred genre as blasphemy. Yeah, it may be a little dark at times, but don't go hating 'til you try it. But if you're a fan of some of The Knife's earlier stuff, and the likes of dark  female-fronters such as Ladytron and Goldfrappe then Iamamiwhoami is a solid pot of glistening mercury. 

Some of their cracking tunes to take for a test drive are;



3 comments:

  1. Interstingly 80's and a mix of Jean Michel-Jarre/Yahzoo/Alison Moyet. Took time to get into it but rather nice by the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. are you swedish cus you post alot about the sweds

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha,no I'm not - hence why I said that Sweden could be my true calling! There are far Swedish bands that I love that I haven't written about yet - such as Fever Ray and the likes :)

    ReplyDelete